Financial Support for FE Students 2017/18


If you are aged 16 years and over on 31st August 2017 starting a Further Education course in September 2017, you may be eligible for financial support from the 16-19 Bursary funds and Learner Support funds.

Those students, who are under 19 years of age, on the 31st August, in the year when they start their course, will be assessed on the basis of their family household income unless current written evidence is provided that the student is living independently. For students 19+ (31st August 2017) studying a Further Education course, the Government provides funding to support essential College related costs.

If you are aged 19+, household income includes the student’s income and their partner or spouse’s income. The income of parents, or other relatives/carers will not be included.

If your household income is NIL and you are supported financially by parents or another person (not spouse/partner) please also complete the relevant income section and provide copies of the three most recent bank statements from your own account.

To apply for an Advanced Learner Loan Bursary you must be in receipt of an Advanced Learner Loan.

We can support with course related costs including travel, course equipment (specific courses listed in the guidance notes), free meals in further education and childcare.

To be eligible you will have a household income of under £30,000 (gross) and meet the EFA/SFA eligibility criteria.

Note - Students on waged Apprenticeships are not eligible to access bursary funding.

The College reserves the right to require repayment of funds and the return of any equipment purchased, including the KCC 16+ Travel Card if it has been funded by the Bursary.

You can now apply for bursary funding and Free College Meals.

Download the form here (PDF) >

Bursary Funds Form Guidance Notes (PDF)

Funds will close at the October half term and over the half term break we will reconcile the funding and re-open the application process if we have funding remaining. The applications process can take a maximum of 6 weeks from the date your application is handed in for your award to be completed. Once completed you will receive an email in your student email account detailing your specific award and payment dates. We will respond to queries as soon as possible at this email address: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

It is your responsibility to inform the Benefits Office of successful application and receipt of funding.

Government guidance is updated regularly and may affect eligibility for funding. Any changes to this policy and student finance guidance will be communicated with all members of the college community at the time of any change.

Application Process

If you are able to travel to campus please bring in your application with the original copies of documentation required. If you are not able to travel to campus please send your application with copies of the documentation required FAO Student Support Services.

Please note: the College will not accept responsibility for any loss of documentation for applications that are sent via post.

Applications will be processed after the student has enrolled on their course and can take 6 weeks to process: the first payment may not be made until October. Where appropriate, payment will be backdated to the start of term subject to satisfactory attendance.

Completed applications must be handed to a member of Student Support Services. Incomplete applications will not be assessed and will delay the allocation of funds. If applications are received without the required evidence, the Student Support Services team will attempt to contact the applicant by telephone, email and/or letter. If a response is not received within two weeks, the application for Financial Support will be filed until contact is made by the applicant.

Successful applicants will be notified via their College email account. Please apply as early as possible in the academic year as funds are limited and awards will be allocated in order of receipt of completed applications. 


Students who live more than 2 miles away from the College, may be eligible for an award to assist with travel costs while they are at College. Priority is given to students using public transport, including bus and train, though in exceptional circumstances, awards can be made towards petrol costs. The maximum award for travel is £1500 for the full academic year.

KCC 16+ Travel Card

From 5th June applications (but not payments) for KCC 16+ travel cards can be made directly by students to KCC Public Transport on-line at: You need to apply to KCC and arrange payment through the College by 14th July in order for the pass to be available to collect at College at the start of term. Where a travel card is not received by the start of term, the student must make arrangements to pay for their travel until the pass is received. All travel cards are sent to the College Student Support Services department at their campus and can be collected during the advertised opening times.

For students applying for a travel card to be funded through the bursary, your pass will be funded from Term 2 (Monday 30 October 2017) and will open on the KCC website from Monday 11 September 2017 with the deadline to guarantee that the pass is available for the first day of Term 2 being Friday 29 September 2017.

Please ensure you apply during this window if you would like to be funded by the bursary. 

You will be required to fund yourself for travel until this point. Your pass will be released on the first day of Term 2 if we have received and processed your completed application in Term 1 and we will give you a one-off payment of £70 to help with the cost of travel for the first term in your first bursary payment.

Please note travel cards will only be released once the bursary has been awarded. Students are also able to apply directly by post sending an application form and passport photograph to: Kent 16+ Travel Card, Kent County Council, Public Transport, PO Box 441, Aylesford, Kent ME6 9HJ.

Students applying for financial support must complete a college application form and provide the evidence required before an assessment will be made. No financial support can be awarded until students have enrolled at the college, as such there may be a gap between applying for funds and when the pass is released. Students must make arrangements to self-fund travel while waiting for the KCC travel card

Students applying for a KCC travelcard later in the year should speak to a member of Student Support Services for further support and guidance.


The following amounts will be paid towards essential full time course related costs.

If you are progressing courses you will receive 50% of the amounts stated.

Course/Curriculum Area  / Funding

  • Business AAT £200
  • Travel and Tourism £100
  • Beauty £200
  • Hair £200
  • Catering £200
  • Art/Fashion/Media/Photography £100
  • Childcare/Early Years £100
  • Sport £100
  • A Levels £100
  • Access to HE £100
  • Motor Vehicle £100
  • Construction, Plumbing, Electrical, Carpentry £100

In some circumstances, students on other courses may require support towards the cost of specific resources. Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis.


Student must be aged 16 or over but under 19 at 31 August 2017. Students aged 19 or over are only eligible for a free meal if they:

  • are continuing on a study programme that was started when aged 16-18 years
  • have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

In addition to the above, the student must be in receipt of, or have parents who are in receipt of, one or more of the following benefits;

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs
  • Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • During the initial roll out of the benefit Universal Credit.


Students aged 19 years and below, may be able to access the Care to Learn scheme. Further information can be found at:

For those students aged 20 and over, funds can pay for childcare costs up to maximum limit of £5440 per child. For more information please see Student Support Services at your campus.

Please note: the contract for childcare is between the student and the childcare provider. The College will not be liable for any outstanding monies, or other issues relating to the contract.

Applications should be submitted with essential documentary evidence.

  • A completed Financial Support Application Form with all required documentary evidence of household income.
  • Birth Certificate or Passport or Adoption papers for relevant children.
  • Registered Childcare Providers’ Certificate with Ofsted Number.
  • Details of your Course Timetable (your tutor will have a copy of this).
  • Headed letter with weekly costs of childcare required
  • The name, address, email address and contact details of the manager/supervisor at the childcare provider.

Supplementary information relating to funding for Childcare.

  • Childcare costs will be paid for the period from first day of attendance up to last day of attendance on course, subject to actual attendance. Bank Holidays/College holidays cannot be funded.
  • It is the responsibility of the student to immediately notify both their Childcare Provider and Student Support Services of any changes in attendance requirement at College.
  • It is the responsibility of the student to immediately notify Student Support Services of any changes in their personal circumstances which might affect their eligibility for funding.
  • If a student’s timetable changes and this results in changes to childcare costs (up or down), a funding award cannot be changed without full re-assessment and approval. Students must re-apply for extra funding, but due to demand for funds at the start of the year extra funding may not be available after October.
  • If a student is overpaid childcare funds, the student will be required to repay the College.
  • The student is liable and responsible for all Childcare Provider costs incurred; any agreement or contract is between the student and the childcare provider.
  • If the student’s children are eligible for free Government funding, the College will fund the cost of childcare after these free hours have been deducted.
  • Payment of childcare funds will be paid monthly by BACs into the student’s bank account.


Students from groups identified by the Government as vulnerable can apply for the Vulnerable Bursary. If you are aged 16-18 on 31st August 2017 and meet one of the criteria below you can apply for a bursary of up to £1,200:

  • in care
  • a care leaver
  • in receipt of Income Support/Universal Credit in place of Income Support
  • in receipt of both Employment and Support Allowance/ Universal Credit and Disability Living Allowance /Personal Independence Payments


If you're aged 19 or over and planning to start a Level 3 or 4 course at the College, you may be eligible for an Advanced Learning Loan. For more information, please see Student Support Services at your campus.

Need More Advice?

If you would like to arrange a time to meet with our student finance team or have any questions about student finance contact:

facebook twitter instagram pinterest linkedin youtube

Search Ashford College